That Boutique-y Whisky Company



At Maltstock we had a masterclass of Master of Malt. Was hoping for a nice line-up from some of their beautiful bottlings, but seeing that they choose 'That Boutique-y Whisky Company' bottlings I regretted my choice a bit :-(  First have to say that I do not have anything against Master of Malt, but I am just giving my opinion here, and what my experience is from this masterclass. Can be that others have an other view on it, I am fine with that, but these are my observations and ramblings...

It was at this masterclass sadly all about the label I found, and these bottlings are a non age statement ones. Find them very high in price and the ones I have tasted here were not so special compared to the price, so not a good price/quality balance.

But now I have had the chance to try them, because I did not have them before due to the price. And thought to my self there 'give them a chance' but that disappeared very fast sadly when the tasting progressed...

The people present at the masterclass asked about the whisky and the specific content. But they just could not tell and immediately switched back to the story behind the label. That was not something we came for was the most heard reaction out of audience. Was a bit of a shame... Did not set a good mood sadly...


The feeling out of the audience was more that they were not there to hear a marketing story and inside jokes behind the label, but to discover some beautiful whiskies, and those they found here were lacking of some flavors and depth.

Have made some quick tasting notes on these bottlings at the masterclass. Found them sadly all to be too pricy for the bottle size and whisky's in them... But that is just my opinion. Have learned at this masterclass that these bottlings are not for me. Cant like them all...


Coal Ila
Nose
Gin hits me first when nosing this one. Strange I find it on a Coal Ila. But just let it sit for a minute and came back to it. Then the following notes came to mind; liquerish, mint, sweet, bit peaty, dark red fruits, honey, vanilla, raisin, chocolate

Palate
Smokey, warm, sweet, dark fruit, vanilla, honey, heather and chocolate

Finish
Vanilla, honey, chocolate, medium length finish.

Score
This was the last one in the masterclass to be tasted, and I was getting happier, when I noticed a more pleasant and balanced body on it. This bottle is 65 euro, still a bit steep, but gave it a 6,5 out of 10. Nice whisky, but to pricy for me.



Highland Park
Nose
At first there was almost no nose on this one, but when warmed up a bit in my hands and when a bit of time passed it became a bit more accessible. Found some sweet tones, raisin, vanilla, fudge and chocolate in there after a good nose, but found it hard to find more.
Palate
Syrupy, grain cookie, chocolate, honey, pepper, vanilla, toffee, fudge

Finish
Medium length finish, sweet, vanilla, honey.

Score
This bottle was chosen on the last Maltstock and had a cartoon on it with all the people there. This bottle is now available for 90 euro. For that money I would not get it. It is a bit more complex and balanced then the Dailuane and Auchroisk must give it that, and it is getting some points for that, but could not find enough in here to go higher then a 6 sadly.



Dailuane

Nose
A lot of citrus on the nose first, then some sweet, fresh, herby, gin like and honey

Palate
Sweet, honey, fruit, citrus, fresh, minty and liqeurish

Finish
Sweet, not long, honey, and again liqeurish

Score
For 55 euro a bottle I find this one to be a bit like coca cola sweetness in the palate. An 5 out of 10 for this one. Reminded me a lot of gin and soda flavours, and was thinking of mixing, and that is something I was not looking for here...



Auchroisk

Nose
Soft nose, honey, sweet, fennel, vanilla

Palate
Sweet, soft, honey, vanilla, raisin, liqeurish, soft fruit. It was mostly sweet, very sweet, and nut much depth in it sadly.

Finish
Short finish, very sweet and like you swallowed a couple of teaspoons of honey all at once.

Score
Gave this one an 5 out of 10 due to the overpowering sweetness and the fact that it is a bottle of 82 euro with them. Ehm... sorry, but don't think so. Wont pay surely for the bottle design, that ends up in the glass bin at the end...



Single Grain Whisky - North British Distillery

Nose
Sweet, gin tones, lemon, nuts, raisin and mellow

Palate
Sweet, liqeurish, honey, spice, mint, citrus. Not a very full profile. Bit bland...

Finish
Not so long finish on it, sweet, liqeurish, minty.

Score
5 out of 10. This is a bottling available for 56 euro with Master of Malt. The price and quality don't really match together, so the score is therefor lower... Found it a bit bland on the palate, and that does not help.


No comments:

Post a Comment