Benromach Peat Smoke - Tasting Notes


At the stand of Van Wees at the Whisky Festival Noord Nederland I got a taste of this Benromach Peat Smoke.

This is what I wrote about it then "It is a balanced dram. Peat on the nose is not strong or overpowering. It is fruity and sweet almost. On the palate the peat presents it self and gives it all a good punch. Nice finish on it, and certainly a dram I would love to have another taste from sometime to write proper notes on it. Benromach is a distillery quite unknown to me must say. Have had some of it in the past, but I think it is time to have a look at them again... Gave this expression in this quick taste a 7 to 7,5 out of 10. But a closer look is needed definitely."

Now, a good half year later I find myself in the opportunity to try it again and make some notes on it.

Nose
Fruit, sweet, vanilla, raisin, black pepper, hint of heather honey, Some spices in the back lingering between the soft smoke notes.

During a Twitter Tasting later I came across this one again and found on the nose:  smoke, citrus, black pepper. cherry, honey, vanilla and warm mushy smoked garlic. Thinking of a boatyard where they are painting and doing work on the docks. Smoky hot paprika powder just warming up in the pan. It is just screaming spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg and Asian spices with some dry charcoal.

Palate
Warm, creamy, chocolate, dried stone fruits, mango, baking spices, rich fruit cake, light smoke coming through and some pepper tingling in the back of it all. Vanilla, raisin and some heather honey.

When tasting this one again at a Twitter Tasting later I wrote down soft, creamy, spices, fruity, chocolate, raisin, clover honey, vanilla, creamy cheese notes (the French ones and a bit Port Salut) Bit malty, fennel sweet and honey, fruits, orange, dried apricots with fruit bowl, green apple, red apple, some yellow galia melon, and orange with zesty lemon pieces/pink grapefruit

Finish
A good length finish, very sweet and creamy. Pink grapefruit, chocolate, galia melon.

Score
7,5 out of 10. This is one I would love to have a bigger bottle of. It just keeps improving the more I taste it. Written on three occasions notes on it, with some different batches of this expression I am sure of it, but it is just lovely, something to seek out in the shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment