Wemyss Malts - Kirsch Gateau - Bunnahabhain - Tasting Notes

From Wemyss Malts we received a sample of the Single Cask collection of them. This one is called Kirsch Gateau and is from the Bunnahabhain distillery. Distilled in 1988 and bottled in 2014 at 56% this delivered 442 bottles in total.

Found this to be a very different Bunnahabhain. I love many expressions coming from this distillery but must say that I am not sure about this one. It is too dense and a bit bitter for me I think. But I know lots of people love these kind of flavours. So here are my thoughts on it.

The nose at first had some light wood notes, like warm fire burning in the room, with a thick syrupy cherry and plum note. Dark bitter chocolate, creamy, vanilla and berry richness with some honey sweetness.

The palate is like the nose, with first some dry woody notes, with again the dark cherry notes. The bitter note in here is something I cant find exactly where it is coming from, but it feels like I just have bitten on a cherry pit. There is sweetness in the medium length finish, but with the espresso like bitter, it is something I just cant get used too. It almost leaves a cranberry sourness on the teeth. As said, lots of people like this kind of notes in a whisky, but for me I find it not too much pleasing sadly. It does not come higher then 6 out of 10 at the moment... You can find the notes of Thomas here, and see how preferences can differ. Lovely to see. Thanks to the people of Wemyss Malts for sharing this one with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment